BSc Timber Industry
About the Faculty
The Simonyi Karoly Faculty is the only higher Education Institution for wood science and technology in Hungary. It has 50 years of experience in education and research. In the past years, hundreds of engineers have graduated from this Faculty to work locally and worldwide as international researchers, engineers or teachers.
Timber industry engineers are welcome in the primary and secondary processing of wood (sawmills, furniture factories, wood construction companies, etc.), in research institutes and universities globally.
Bachelor thesis project opportunities (examples)
- utilization of fast growing plantation wood species (poplar, pawlonia, robinia, etc.) for high value added products
- modification of wood’s properties (acetylation, thermal, hygro-thermal and other methods)
- technology development for pencil manufacturing
- product and technology development for outdoor furniture (incl. play grounds)
- NDT (non-destructive testing of wood), NIR spectra for moisture measurements
- colour stability of wood
- surface stability of hardwoods treated by different finishing materials
- Carbon fibre reinforced wood (load bearing elements)
- nano cellulose for film materials
- wood protection (materials, constructions)
The goals of the bachelor course and competences to be learned:
The goal of the course is professional training in wood processing and utilization. Achieving a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills in the technical, environmental and financial aspects of wood utilization, processing and product development. Attaining a level of knowledge that enables the graduate to assume and have an active role in sawmill industries, wood-based panel industry, wood processing technologies, door- and window production, furniture design and timber structures. Additionally, to further his or her education by entering an MSc. programme.
Competences to be obtained in the bachelors’ course:
- career-related theoretical and practical skills and their application in practical work and design
- expected to construct and organize the investments of mechanically, structurally and technologically complex structures respecting the nature and human environment
- systematic understanding and competence concerning materials, technology and products
- user-level knowledge concerning computer-aided design
- acquaintance with the general analysis and problem-solving techniques required for production processes
- the practical application of their skills to solve emerging problems.
Number of credits from basic knowledge of natural sciences: 45.
Number of credits from economic and human knowledge: 14.
Number of credits from professional core material: 101.
Number of credits from optional subjects: 10.
Number of credits per specialization: 40.
Number of credits related to the thesis: 15.
Our Faculty offers specific educational objectives: Graduates from Wood Science Engineering create engineering structures (furniture, windows, doors, other wooden products) by utilizing and designing wood or wood based materials. They are expected to construct and organize the investments of mechanically, structurally and technologically complex structures respecting the nature and human environment. This study program enables the graduate to assume and active role in future technical developments, and to further his or her education by entering a MSc. programme.
The Timber Industry Engineer training is a practical training, 40% theory and 60% practice
End of third semester specialization choice
- timber industry technology specialization
- wooden architecture specialization
- logistics and process engineer specialization
Timber industry technology specialization
The specialization in woodworking technology provides a classical, wide-ranging engineering knowledge in wood. It will prepare future woodworking engineers for a significant proportion of wood industry in the furniture and building tables industry and in the primary wood industry, saw and plywood industry, professional and organizational tasks.
During the course, students will get acquainted with the basic materials of wood-based finished products, the applied structures, the parting methods and the state-of-the-art product manufacturing technologies.
Students specializing in the specialization will also be able to perform production preparation and manufacturing organization tasks
Wooden architecture specialization
During the training, students will receive pre-training for the required knowledge for building management skills (technical leadership, structural design, architecture).
The training will be complete with an MSc training, which, after absolving the necessary construction permissions mentioned above can be acquired after a certain practical period of time in the building industry.
The aim of the training is to form an unique wood-architect engineer who is capable to manage in the building industry civil engineering, architectural and wood structural/industrial tasks.
Logistics and process engineer specialization
In this specialization, the students can acquire general professional knowledge and manager-level knowledge, which required knowledge of the enterprise logistics processes.
In addition the students also will receive special technical knowledge (e.g. Maintenance engineering, Introduction of a new product, LEAN production systems, Engineering Information Technology, Automated Manufacturing Systems).