MSc Timber Industry
About the Faculty
The Simonyi Karoly Faculty is the only higher Education Institution for wood science and technology in Hungary. It has 50 years of experience in education and research. In the past years, hundreds of engineers have graduated from this Faculty to work locally and worldwide as international researchers, engineers or teachers.
Timber industry engineers are welcome in the primary and secondary processing of wood (sawmills, furniture factories, wood construction companies, etc.), in research institutes and universities globally.
Master thesis project opportunities (examples)
- utilization of fast growing plantation wood species (poplar, pawlonia, robinia, etc.) for high value added products
- modification of wood’s properties (acetylation, thermal, hygro-thermal and other methods)
- technology development for pencil manufacturing
- product and technology development for outdoor furniture (incl. play grounds)
- NDT (non-destructive testing of wood), NIR spectra for moisture measurements
- colour stability of wood
- surface stability of hardwoods treated by different finishing materials
- Carbon fibre reinforced wood (load bearing elements)
- nano cellulose for film materials
- wood protection (materials, constructions)
The goals of the master course and competences to be learned:
The goal of the course is professional training in wood processing and utilisation. Achieving a high level theoretical knowledge and practical skills in the technical, environmental and financial aspects of wood utilization, processing and product development. Attaining a level of theoretical understanding that, along with the vocational training, program enables the graduate to assume and have an active role in future technical developments, and to further his or her education by entering a PhD. programme.
Competences to be obtained in the masters’ course:
- career-related theoretical and practical skills and their application in laboratory work and design.
- systematic understanding and competence concerning materials, technology and products
- management skills and the ability to promote successful teamwork
- user-level knowledge concerning computer-based communication and analysis
- a basic understanding of issues of environment protection, quality management, consumer protection, manufacturer responsibilities, occupational safety and health, technical, economic, legal requirements, and ethics.
- acquaintance with the general analysis and problem-solving techniques required for scientific research.
- Graduates of the master course are capable of:
- the practical application of their skills to understand principles and relationships, and using various problem-solving techniques,
- processing new information, problems and phenomena encountered at the frontiers of their professional experience, understanding and solving emerging problems and generating original ideas,
- forming correct opinions and fair criticism, decision-making, drawing conclusions,
- evaluating conditions, analysing risks and, based on these, forming a realistic evaluation, making suggestions, solving complex tasks in the area of wood processing, developing new technologies, organising and controlling production processes.
- the management of the available technological, economic and human resources in a complex way
- performing all kinds of engineering tasks related to wood processing and utilisation at a high level of proficiency,
- self-education and development, extending and expanding their knowledge and skills.
Workshops are also organized with international partners.
The diploma thesis is regularly a joint research and development project activity in cooperation with our national and international industrial partners or research institutes.